Another child has died after eating biscuits bought from a foreign owned spaza shop in Soweto.
As investigations continue, more samples, according to the authorities, have been sent to the lab. The two children’s families are still attempting to put together how their children passed away.
Another youngster in Soweto has reportedly died from poisoning.
This comes after two more kids passed away earlier this week apparently from eating biscuits from a nearby spaza business. The foreign national spaza shop owner is accused by the neighbourhood with selling contaminated or expired food.
Residents in Naledi claim that two children died and two were unwell after consuming biscuits from a spaza shop run by a non-native. Four kids, including Neo Khang and Katlego Mbatha, reportedly consumed juice and biscuits they purchased from a spaza shop in Naledi, Soweto, using an R5 coin provided to them by a relative.
While Mbatha and Olwethu Zikhali were taken to the hospital, Khang and Leon Jele, both six years old, perished after swallowing the items. One of them has a serious condition.
The township’s Naledi portion was the scene of the incident, which has left the neighbourhood in shock. The neighbour and pastor’s wife Nikini Moropa told of the devastation of trying to save Neo’s life after they were alerted to the family’s plight on Sunday night.
“He was pink in the face with his tongue sticking out. He had changed beyond recognition. The stuff coming out of his mouth and nose was also pink but I can’t be sure what it was. We’ll have to wait for the postmortem,” she said.
The families of the victims are also pleading for financial help to bury the children.
Investigations into their deaths are underway.